Thursday, December 13, 2007

Starting the Band Tour

I made my "public debut" at Rock Band last night, as I went to a local bar with several co-workers to attend a charity fundraiser where Rock Band was being played on stage for anyone to come up and jam.

The room was absolutely packed -- surely to fire capacity. The lines to play were long, but we'd arrived fairly early in the night, and were able to get up there a few times before the wait grew too outrageous.

The first time around, only three of us were together and willing to jam for an audience, so we had a complete stranger throw in with us to sing the vocals on Garbage's I Think I'm Paranoid. All of us -- including the stranger -- seemed to be on our best instruments. We had a great time, and rocked it big time.

Later on in the "set," two guys were looking for people to fill in for them on drums and bass, so I and one of my co-workers were quick to throw in. Unfortunately, this time, we had rotten luck with the strangers. The singer butchered Don't Fear the Reaper (Even the cowbell parts! Travesty!), and the guitar player wasn't much better, biting off more than he could chew with too high a difficulty setting. Though we tried our best to carry the song, the singer failed three times, and that was the end of it.

While I wish the night had ended on the first successful song rather than the second, it was a great time nevertheless. If there's ever a next time, though, I plan to go with three of my friends so we can "bring it."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

those Rock Band TV commercials are cool. I imagine it must feel pretty close to actually being in a band. my bro got the deluxe set but he's waiting until Xmas before he opens it. since I played drums in high school guess which part I'll get stuck with!

the mole

DrHeimlich said...

When the holiday arrives, I'm sure you'll have loads of fun rocking out.