Thursday, December 27, 2007

Good But Not Great

The main factor in getting me out to see Charlie Wilson's War was the writer, Aaron Sorkin (the man behind Sports Night, The West Wing, and Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip, as well as the movies A Few Good Men and Malice). There were other things in its favor, though. Mike Nichols is a great director, Tom Hanks a reliably good actor (overlooking a few missteps that would be inevitable in such a long career), and Philip Seymour Hoffman brilliantly gifted at creating memorable characters. (Well, and Julia Roberts. I have nothing against her, but she's not exactly a major draw for me either.)

This concoction of prime ingredients did turn out to produce a quality "meal." The movie is indeed very well written, moving at a brisk pace, peppered with the trademark Sorkin wit, and managing to make the world of politics interesting to watch. The directing is indeed excellent, carefully balancing character with story, and artistic staging without getting into needless "showiness." The performances are great across the board, particularly Hoffman's scene-stealing turn as a feisty and caustic intelligence agent.

But good though the movie is on an intellectual level, it never quite manages to engage on an emotional level. I found myself admiring the technique from a distance and appreciating the way it was all put together, but without ever getting "lost in the story." So much of Aaron Sorkin's work (particularly on television) manages to "educate" in this way while still moving the viewer to sit on the edge of his seat, or stand up and cheer, or sit back in or near tears. Not Charlie Wilson's War.

I'm sure I've said this several times before, but ultimately what I look for in a movie is to be engaged emotionally in some way. I did like this movie, and I do recommend seeing it (particularly to anyone who was a fan of The West Wing), but I ultimately can't rate it higher than a B+.

Granted, that's not exactly a low mark.

No comments: