Friday, December 07, 2007

It's Showtime!

Are you a film buff? Have you got $600 just burning a hole in your pocket? Well let me suggest that this Tuesday (when it releases), you pick up the UA 90th Anniversary Prestige Collection. It's 90 movies in one package.

Holy crap!

It's not that I'm saying 90 movies is a lot to own on DVD. Looking at the size of my DVD collection, I've no room to talk there. But I can't say I've ever bought 90 movies all at once.

I suppose it works out to less than $7 a movie, which is less than you'd probably pay to see them just about any way other than NetFlix or slavish searching of AMC over a period of several years. But damn, who would have the time to watch 90 movies?! Not me. I know this for a fact -- I kept track of the movies I saw in 2006 just for the hell of it, and while this year's tally is well ahead of that, I'm not to 90 yet.

It sure puts a top 100 list (the AFI's, or mine, or anyone else's) into perspective when you're actually confronted with how much time you have to devote to watch that many movies.

2 comments:

Shocho said...

I think if I were gonna spring for a big boxed set like this I'd get the one for the Criterion Collection. But still, this would be terrific for somebody just getting into film.

Roland Deschain said...

Oh god...please don't make me think about how much of my life is spent around/viewing/checking movies each year. I think I might have to just kill myself.

Although, for those of you who wonder why I am always single, tend to drink a lot, and crave human interaction, I'm sure the answer would be related to that question.

Yeah. I think I'm a sad panda now... :P