Thursday, August 14, 2008

Banner Year

As you may know, the Democratic National Convention is coming here to Denver in two weeks. Banners like the one at the left are now up on every lamppost in the downtown area.

I find them a bit interesting. Thet just say "Denver 2008" and have that star logo. Nowhere on them do they use the words "Democratic National Convention." I wonder why? Are the banner makers assuming everyone know what it means, or are they in some subtle way trying to hide the meaning of the banners? You know, so as not to piss anybody off for whatever political leanings they may have, we'll just celebrate "Denver 2008."

I don't get it.

1 comment:

Roland Deschain said...

I don't know. For those of us who work in downtown I look at them as more of a warning.

Specific dates...the place...everything I need to know about where I need to be as far the bleeding hell away from as I possibly can.

It could be talking about the DNC. Or the inevitable protests. Or the upcoming riots, throwing of poo, parade of people who have something to biatch about, the reporters whining about covering two different sites, the public in general loathing the entire event coming up, the hotels without a room to spare, restaurants closed for famous people visiting a la Michael Moore, or the dates that will be referred to in the numerous future lawsuits alleging brutality against the Denver Police Department.

Take your pick. ;-)