Friday, August 08, 2008

It Ain't Easy Being "Jeezy"

My friend FKL was thinking of me today. Perhaps he was just dismayed by yesterday's lame post (which I realize now was basically "here are some bunnies... with no pancakes on their heads") and decided I needed something better. In any case, this is definitely better.

Behold the story of a woman who found a Cheeto shaped like Jesus.

The thing that really puts this story over the top for me is the way that everyone interviewed and indeed the reporter him-/herself seem to taking it quite seriously... and yet more-than-slightly not seriously at the same time.

I mean, that headline: "Woman Finds Jesus In Bag of Cheetos." It's perfectly factual, yet completely mocking in a passive-aggressive way.

The fact the husband named it "Cheesus."

The local pastor who said: "If people can find Jesus, somehow, in each of us like she's found in this object, that would be a wonderful thing." You know, basically the world would be a better place if we could each of us find our own Cheeto Jesus.

Truly, Frito-Lay is doing God's work.

2 comments:

Roland Deschain said...

It's times like this that I hope Jesus DOESN'T have a sense of humor. Because it would be funny as all get out for this woman to get to the pearly gates and get the express elevator to hell...and to see the look on St. Peter's face when he looks in the ledger and sees "Cheeto Jesus." Cheesus is not funny.

Only to let loose a small chuckle.

And then St. Peter follows this lady to hell.

I plan not to die on this day. ;)

Sangediver said...

"Kelly doesn't plan to sell the Cheeto and will keep it in a safe deposit box."

Let me be the first to say E-e-e-e-ewwww.

Although Moldy Cheesus is a great band name!