Monday, November 03, 2008

Greatness Achieved

Tonight brought us a strong episode of Prison Break. No beating around the bush -- the highlight was of course in the two deaths contained within the episode. Granted that with this show, it seems you can't actually assume anyone is dead until you see their severed head in a box. (And not even then.) But would appear we've seen the last of Company cronie Wyatt, and there-since-day-one Brad Bellick.

William Fichtner once again delivered a top notch performance as Mahone. Even though the character was largely returned this week to druggie-like climbing the wall territory, the emotional impact of the material was still powerful. I'm not necessarily a fan of watching torture in drama, but for this character and this storyline, it was the right place to go.

And said torture wasn't nearly as unsettling to watch as that creepy, creepy kiss between the General and Gretchen. Ew. I have to assume she's just leading him on to get inside and betray him. As I recall, Scylla required six keycards to access and Our Heroes only got five, with the General's still safe. I presume Gretchen is acting on the inside to procure that sixth card. What remains to be seen is whether the General is clever enough to see through the ploy, and to double-double-cross Gretchen.

But the big moment of the hour was for Brad Bellick. Having been comic relief for the show basically since the beginning (and in real earnest since season three), I started to wonder what weirdness was up when he started in with all the serious talk about having nothing in life to be passionate about, wondering how Linc's kid was doing, and such. But it wasn't until he crawled in that pipe that I put together where things were going. And even then, I thought the writers might chicken out.

I say good for them to take this twist in the road. Bellick gave us a few laughs, sure, but in truth his character hasn't truly been served well since season two. Sending him out this way was a great thing for the character and for the story. I only wish they'd laid a little more pipe (pun not intended) in earlier episodes setting up for this grand exit. Still, a minor quibble with what really was a great creative decision.

Speaking of minor quibbles, I'll leave you with this. If I'm ever in a medical emergency, get me Dr. Sara Tancredi. Because just hours earlier, Sucre was suffering a gunshot wound to the gut, and here he was doing all sorts of strenuous physical activities with only an occasional hand to the stomach in an almost "maybe I should take a Tums for this upset stomach I have" sort of mild discomfort.

That woman can work miracles.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very good episode. I had actually forgotten that they'd captured the assassin last time, and my DVR somehow started a bit late, so I didn't get the recap. It started straight with Linc punching the bastard in his cage, and I was rather puzzled for a couple of minutes, until my tired old brain remembered the end of the previous episode.

Looking forward to next week!

FKL