Sunday, November 16, 2008

Ring-a-Ding-a-Ding-a-(swipe)

You know those Salvation Army bell ringers that stand outside stores in December to get donations in their red kettles?

Well, first of all, I found a very short news story today that informed me some of those bell ringers are already at work, even though we haven't even reached Thanksgiving yet. Yes, they have a good cause worth donating to at any time of the year, but the whole "dress up in a Santa suit and stand outside the grocery" is pure Christmas, and I'm tired of the holiday encroaching ever earlier in the year.

But this was not the focus of the story. It was that a handful of bell ringers are now testing out the ability to run credit cards there at their kettles. Here in Colorado, in fact, though why we're the test bed for this new approach I'm really not sure.

Now this scene is possible:

"I'd like to donate five dollars."

"Oh, I'm sorry, but your card was declined..."

1 comment:

Roland Deschain said...

My answer this year is:

"I'm sorry, my portion of the bailout plan is not yet approved. Please check back later..."

Maybe if we just classified The Salvation Army as a bank, all the problems would be solved. God knows they'd put the money to better use!!