Wednesday, November 19, 2008

The One and Only

This unusual little article I read told me two things -- one I knew, and one I didn't.

First, what I didn't know. There is a condition called "phonagnosia," which prevents a person from being able to distinguish between different people's voices. It ordinarily affects only stroke victims, but this article documents a case of a woman who appears to have been born with the condition. If you stop and think about all the conversations you have in a day where you're not actually seeing the person with whom you're conversing, it seems like a rather unfortunate condition.

Secondly, what I did know. Nobody sounds quite like Sean Connery. (Well, unless the person is doing a Sean Connery impression.) It seems the woman with phonagnosia is able to distinguish one voice -- that of the first James Bond. You've got one voice in all the world you can recognize. Why not Sean Connery?

7 comments:

Brad said...

I have talked to others about this and I think that being able to tell Morgan Freeman's voice from others would be more practical.

If I had to choose one voice, it would b Morgan Freeman's.

Jason said...

I'll take Ricardo Montalbon.

Shocho said...

Kathleen Turner. No contest.

EJ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
EJ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
EJ said...

I pity the person WHOSE(!) world sounds like only John Madden.

Roland Deschain said...

If he was still around, I'd take Don LaFontaine. "In a world where there's only one voice you recognize, be damn happy that it's mine."

I could do that. ;-)