Monday, November 24, 2008

Selfless

Tonight was another solid episode of Prison Break. Many elements of it were fairly predictable, but a few were not -- and in that respect it reminded me a bit of the first season and what made me start liking this show in the first place. The show was always at its best during the "what's Michael's plan for this?" days, and tonight gave us a small return to that.

I also thought that tonight, Prison Break showed an edge it has over 24, particularly in 24's recent seasons. I watch Prison Break unfold, and I believe that it was planned in advance. Maybe not every single beat, but I do believe some of the big elements were planned for, as opposed to 24 (which the creators themselves have admitted to "winging it" after about the first 4 or 6 episodes of a season).

Why cast Michael Rapaport to play such a wishy-washy pushover? Answer: they didn't. They cast him in anticipation of this mid-season plot twist.

Speaking of casting, I think they did a credible job of finding a woman who looked like she really could be the general's daughter. I believe they planned that in advance as well.

Yes, Prison Break still has its preposterous moments. Hell, multiple times a week, sometimes. But it does feel like they work out the major beats a season at a time, and give us satisfying moments along the way.

Tonight we got to see the smug General dressed down and defeated by Our Heroes as we've long wanted, we got to see a few brief moments of happiness for Our Heroes, we got some fun action sequences, some nice beats of tension.

That's pretty much all you can ask for from this show, I think.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great entry title, Doctor.

And yeah, great episode! I loved the part about Lisa being the general's daughter, and I had the same thought you had: when they revealed her real identity, I thought, "Well, she certainly looks like the guy!" Good casting there.
It also shed a new light on the "You're my girl" comment the general made to Lisa in a previous episode. I love that stuff.

And yeah, damn that Self bastard. I mean, we KNEW something was up because the season is only half done and the caper was apparently over... but I didn't think it would be that. I thought trouble would come from the general and The Company. So that was a nice twist.

FKL