Thursday, November 13, 2008

I'm Batman

Just when I think I've seen the most ridiculous basis for a lawsuit ever, someone finds a way to slide under the bar of my expectations. The mayor of a small city in Turkey is suing Christopher Nolan and Warner Bros. Studios for a share of the royalties to the movie The Dark Knight. The basis?

His city is named Batman.

"There is only one Batman in the world," says the nutjob. "The American producers used the name of our city without informing us."

Fortunately, the obvious was pointed out by the writer of the article -- why not make an issue of this some time during the nearly 70 years Batman (the superhero) has already been around? It's not like it wasn't making money before this summer's movie.

I think the citizens of Vulcan, Alberta might be licking their chops for the new Star Trek movie coming next year.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

that's as stupid as people copywriting common phrases.

"That's hot."

"You're fired."

now... "Batman!"

do I owe some people some money now?

I'm too lazy to internet search for it, but if there is a city somewhere called "Star" or "Wars" they might want to jump on this train...

the mole

Roland Deschain said...

We're all totally hosed if the city of Intercourse, Pennsylvania ever decides they want paid.

Or Hell, Michigan.

Those pesky fornicators and churchgoers alike would be broke. :P

Sangediver said...

I'd lawyer up DrH. After "The only Dr. Heimlich in the world" finds out about this you could be in trouble....