Wednesday, May 11, 2011

30 Day Song Challenge -- Day 14

Day 14: A song that no one would expect you to love.

I found this one to be a tricky category. How should I know whether anyone would expect me to love any given song? I could have looked for some metal song, given my widely known dislike of the genre, but that felt to me like it would be revisiting territory I've already covered in this Challenge. Besides, I'm pretty sure there isn't a metal song out there that I actually "love."

I thought about turning to another genre I don't care for: country. "Bad Things," by Jace Everett, came to mind. But I quickly dismissed it. As it's the theme to the series True Blood, I can't see it as a song that "no one" would expect me to love.

I kept searching, and never really came up with what felt like a clear winner. The best I arrived at was "Tainted Love," as recorded by Marilyn Manson for the film Not Another Teen Movie:



Marilyn Mason's style is usually on the far side of the boundary of "Music I Like." I'm okay with a few of his songs, but I doubt anybody would think he'd make a song I "love." Add to that the fact that this a re-record of an awesome 80s tune that I do love. Tampering with that is playing with dynamite. It can only end badly, right?

Well, I totally love this version of the song. So, surprise! (I think.)

No comments: