Sunday, May 01, 2011

Lord Snow

The third episode of Game of Thrones wasn't filled with the tense twists of the previous hour, but as a fan of the book, I found it a compelling installment nonetheless. It introduced a number of new characters into the mix, some of them people that didn't land as sharply on me as a reader -- Peter Baelish, Lord Renly -- and others entertaining at the time, but forgotten in the long years since I'd read the book -- Sylvio. Through solid casting and careful dialogue, I found them all to be effective additions to the mix here in the series.

Many of the major characters took their first steps on a long and interesting road. We saw Arya begin her sword lessons, Daenerys discover her pregnancy, and Jon Snow just beginning to gain acceptance at the Wall -- all moments that brought a knowing smile to my face as I watched the hour unfold.

This may also be the first episode in which Tyrion didn't have the best moments. Oh, he was still the fun rogue he's been, and had great scenes. Still, I think Jamie stole the show this week with his great opening scene with Eddard, his biting insult/flirtation with Cersei, and his minor confrontation with the king.

I think with the many exciting moments to come, by the end of the season, this episode won't be particularly remembered. It really did just incrementally push events forward without offering any major revelations. Nevertheless, I thought it a well executed hour with solid acting and writing.

I've not popped my usual "letter grade" on any episodes of the show thus far, and I don't think I'm going to break the trend now. Because of my familiarity with the book, it's difficult for me to take any one episode as a truly stand-alone piece. But I continue to find it a most worthy realization of the source material.

No comments: