Sunday, May 15, 2011

The Wolf and the Lion

Game of Thrones served up its best episode yet tonight, though the exciting new developments came at the cost of benching a couple of storylines for a week. There was no sign of either Daenerys or Jon Snow, but there were more than enough other things to keep the story interesting.

Obviously, there were major strides in the plot, as Catelyn took Tyrion to her mad sister for imprisonment. (The Eyrie looked just as cool on the show as I'd imagined it reading the book.) Eddard resigned as the King's Hand, and later was wounded by Jamie in retribution for the taking of Tyrion.

But I found the best parts of the hour to be the very choice two-person scenes that so clearly let us in on so many of the characters this week. The taunting scene in the throne room between Littlefinger and The Spider was a perfect battle of wits and barbs between two men who use their words as their weapons. The dialogue between King Robert and Queen Cersei was keen insight into the state of their marriage not just now, but over its long course.

There were also two scenes I believe to be additions from the book that also landed well for me. First came the scene between Theon Greyjoy and his whore. I recall that while reading the first part of the book, Theon was almost a non-entity to me. Among the dozens of characters I was trying to keep straight, he just didn't register. This scene wasn't startling, but did do a very good job of painting him as a more serious threat, a man to watch and take seriously. (And indeed, he is both.)

Curiously, the other scene involved sex as well -- this between Lord Renly and the Knight of Flowers. Again, Renly is a character that simply never landed for me as I read the book. Among all the people involved in the bitter power struggle, the unmemorable brother of King Robert always came off as one too many. Renly was built up more strongly in this episode than I remember him in the book -- not only in this private moment, but in his bold betting against Littlefinger at the joust earlier in the episode. I'm not sure I'm any more deeply invested in him, but I do find him a stronger personality, a "piece" worthy of the "game," if you will.

Hard to believe we're already half done with the season at this point! It's gone so fast -- and yet I wouldn't have them slow the pace that has seemed fairly relentless and exhilarating since the second episode. At least I can take comfort in knowing HBO has already re-ordered the show for season 2.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I found the choice of the Loras/Renly scene to be an interesting one... though I don't think the sound effects were all that necessary.

DrHeimlich said...

I'm completely with you on the sound effects. I was thinking, "uh, yeah, we already get it."

Darrell said...

Haven't seen the episode, but from your comments, can I take it that the show made explicit what the books only implied? (So subtly, IIRC, that I didn't even see it until someone pointed it.)

DrHeimlich said...

Yes, the subtext of the book is very much the "text" in the series.