Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Arctic Blast

Last night, I went to see the Arctic Monkeys in concert at the Ogden Theatre in Denver. It's maybe an odd choice for me for a concert, given how little I knew of them and how few concerts I actually go to. Still, I had a really great time.

When I was telling most of my friends that I was going to see Arctic Monkeys, the response I was tending to get was "who?" And though I had at least heard of them before being invited to go, I couldn't really have named any of their songs. This is all a bit funny, considering that in their native UK, their debut broke the record for fastest-selling debut album. (I think we're all happy to have Oasis kicked off that particular hill. Preferably in the teeth.)

But if you, like former me, are not in the know, Arctic Monkeys is an "indie Brit rock" band -- vaguely punkish in terms of their speed and kinetics, vaguely prog rock in their varying tempos and changing sound from one album to the next, largely "garage rock" in their loud and driving sound.

In my opinion, there are two standout performers in the band. First is the lead singer, Alex Turner, who is considerably more melodic than the usual front man of a band of like this. And based on what I've listened to of their albums, I'd say he's actually better in concert than in the studio (where the band seems to prefer a slightly looser sound).

But the big star is the drummer, Matt Helders. He's that rare combination of a drummer that can play freakishly, exhausting fast and a drummer with great technical sophistication. He's complex one moment, super disco the next, and sometimes both in one song. Pretty crazy stuff.

I wouldn't say I've found a new favorite band or anything, but I am really glad to have gone to the show, and will probably be picking up their new album when it's released next week.

No comments: