Monday, June 06, 2011

30 Day Song Challenge -- Day 22

Day 22: A song that you listen to when you're sad.

I had considered "In My Room" by The Beach Boys for this slot, but there was a rich story behind another song that pulled me inexorably in another direction.

I'm picking "Fragile" by Sting. I find it a mournful, melancholy song that perfectly fits a melancholy mood. The original version from his album "...Nothing Like the Sun" is good, but the version from his "...All This Time" concert is even better:



The story behind the song isn't a personal one, but I find it compelling all the same. Sting had planned to give a small and intimate concert for friends at his home, record it, and release it on CD and DVD. "Fragile" was pre-selected as a single to be released in conjunction with this concert, as it was never released as a single off the original album.

But the performance date of the concert was September 11, 2001. Part of the DVD documentary concerns the decision whether to even go through with the performance after that morning's terrorist attacks. Ultimately, Sting and his assembled musicians did, but the pre-selection of "Fragile" as the opening number for the show suddenly took on extra meaning. And I think the performance is richer as a result.

No comments: