Saturday, June 11, 2011

Mormony, No Problems

Broadway's newest sensation is The Book of Mormon, a musical written in a partnership between the creators of South Park and the creator of Avenue Q. It stands to win a ton of Tony Awards tomorrow night. It's already been announced for a national tour -- which conveniently will open here in Denver, thanks to Trey Parker and Matt Stone's Colorado connection. Inconveniently, that won't happen until December 2012. So it looks to be a while before I'll get to see the show myself.

I did decide, however, to pick up the soundtrack album that was just released. And holy crap! It's seriously funny! And of course, probably quite offensive to a lot of people (not just Mormons, but potentially any religious person without an irreverent sense of humor). It's also a really classically formed incarnation of musical theater. It follows traditions and tweaks them at the same time. It's actually not all mocking; there are plenty of sweet parts too.

But mostly, it's hellaciously funny. I was laughing so hard I was literally crying the first time I listened to "Hasa Diga Eebowai," the wonderfully inappropriate chorus number that comes early in Act One. But that's just one highlight among many; the songs have humor both subtle and overt, clever and base. In short, even if you (like me) haven't seen the show, it's well worth picking up the soundtrack album.

And especially worth it if you're reading this within a day or two of me posting it. Yesterday, Amazon began a four-day special where you can buy the album in an MP3 download for a mere $1.99. I paid much more than that, and don't regret it one bit.

December 2012 can't get here fast enough, Mayans be damned.

No comments: