Saturday, June 25, 2011

30 Day Song Challenge -- Day 29

Day 29: A song from your childhood.

I don't actually remember the first album I ever bought for myself. But I do remember the first non-childrens' album that anyone ever bought for me. My aunt bought me a copy of Lionel Richie's album Dancing on the Ceiling. The vintage 80s cheese that is the title track (and the even cheesier music video to go with it) demonstrates exactly why I can't make it my official pick in this category. Too silly.

So instead, I'm going with an orchestral track, from the score to my favorite movie, Back to the Future. I've already written about the memorable circumstances where I saw it twice in one day when I was a kid. Let me now focus on the amazingly tense sequence at the climax of the film, the Clock Tower sequence.

Composer Alan Silvestri composed an epic 10 minutes of non-stop action music for this. It was only at last made available on a soundtrack album a couple of years ago, and I listen to that album (and this track in particular) all the time. It may be my favorite bit of film music ever:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Agreed. Awesome stuff. Period.

FKL