Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Catchy Tune

The third season of The Greatest American Hero has arrived on DVD. I haven't picked up the other two, and I'm not likely to grab this one. I'm simply too afraid.

There's a pretty big crop of TV shows I watched in the 80s that I thought were just freakin' incredible at the time. I've caught them in re-runs lately, and have come to realize how young and stupid I was. One of the local TV affiliates in the Norfolk area helped me make this discovery one Sunday afternoon when I had nothing better to do -- they had a three-hour block every week in which they ran Knight Rider, The A-Team, and Airwolf, all in succession. It was quite jarring to compare the facts confronting me on the screen with the shiny memories I had of each show. But indeed, each one was worse than the one preceeding it. So I've decided not to risk shattering any more of my childhood memories, and I'm not picking up The Greatest American Hero DVDs. (Or the MacGyver DVDs, out of similar fears.)

However, I was standing in the store tonight, and I saw the DVD sitting there on the shelf. It had a sticker in the lower left corner: "Press Here to Hear the Theme Song." And I'm thinking to myself, "No! There's no way they could possib--"

"Believe it or not, Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii'm walkin' on air..."

Man, that was almost enough to make me break down and buy it right there. At least, until I realized the novelty would wear off really damn quick if the thing was sitting on my shelf and possibly going off at random intervals.

Still, major points to whoever thought up that idea.

8 comments:

Mkae said...

Ah...Joey Scarbury's only claim to fame. A song that actually reached the Top 10 on the Billboard 100 charts back in 197..

Oops. Old habits die hard.

Do you remember George's answering machine on Seinfeld?

"Believe or not, George isn't at home....
Oh I wonder where he could be-hee-heeee"

DrHeimlich said...

Oh, how could I *forget* George's answering machine? :-) Still waiting for that season of Seinfeld to hit DVD.

GiromiDe said...

...which loops this conversation back to series DVDs that won't disappoint...

TheGirard said...

Whoa...Evan turned down a DvD purchase? I don't believe it.

I bet Kevin would have caved and bought it.

Major Rakal said...

Was there ever a DVD that Kevin wouldn't buy?

GiromiDe said...

I'll offer my copy of Lethal Weapon 4 for kindling, provided it won't create toxic smoke.

Mkae said...

I think Kevin is probably shorter on funds now for DVD purchases than he was before. ;)

Anonymous said...

did you just dis the A-Team? ; )

even with the mega cheesey plots and the ridiculous gun battles, the character interactions between the 'team is spot-on great stuff. whenever they trick Mr.T into drinking the sleeping pills or Murdock talks with the sock puppet? legendary goodness. though I still can't justify purchasing the seasons, I'll flip past it on TV and stop for a bit, I always get a smile : )
(you can dis Knight Rider and Airwolf all you want...)

-the mole

on a side note, sometimes the opposite effect is true as well. I know you're not into the anime stuff, but the original Robotech series (yes the one with the pop singer) was way better than I remember. when I was younger I just remembered the cool robot battles and thought the romantic plots were lame, but now realize how emotional those scenes really are.