Tuesday, August 23, 2005

I've Been Tagged

I have been tagged in a most righteous meming, and must now respond.

10 years ago today: August 23, 1995
Just this week or last, I'd have been heading in for my first sophomore semester at CU-Denver. If memory serves, I was performing a play right about this time, The Baltimore Waltz. Thanks to this play, I remember to this day how to say two things in German: "Can I speak to Mr. Lime, please?" and "Harry! How's it going?!"

5 years ago today: August 23, 2000
GenCon would have been just a week-and-a-half ago, where I believe D Company had just announced for the first time that it had acquired The Lord of the Rings TCG license. In less than a month's time, I'd be moved full time from the marketing department to CCG Design, and thrown into work with Tim on Mirror, Mirror. I'd been living in Virginia Beach for just over a year at this point, but it would still be almost another two years before it really came to feel like "home" to me.

1 year ago today: August 23, 2004
I was deep in the thick of concocting the new adventure path mechanic that would go in the next Lord of the Rings product, Shadows. I was getting used to the idea of once again living with a small child in the house after many years -- and what a sweetheart she was too. Just one week earlier, I'd returned from a visit to Colorado, where I had acted as officiant at the wedding of two good friends of mine.

Yesterday: August 22, 2005
A routine day. A more slow-paced day at work than I'd had at all last week, trying to make some refinements on a game engine we're developing. A quiet evening at home, playing online poker, watching a show or two on DVD, and reading -- Dying of the Light, by George R.R. Martin.

Tomorrow: August 24, 2005
They'll be laying new blacktop in the parking lot at my apartment, so no parking in my usual spot. I'll be enjoying my last quiet evening for the rest of the week -- Thursday will be trivia, Friday is my monthly game night with my college group (not to be confused with my weekly Saturday night gaming with a different group), and Saturday night will be a bachelor party for yet another wedding (they come in clusters).

5 snacks I enjoy
Only five? Well, judging by what's in my place right now: red licorice (Twizzlers or Red Vines), Ritz Bits, Pringles, Good Times' frozen custard, and Golden Oreos.

5 bands that I know most of their lyrics
Barenaked Ladies, Huey Lewis and the News, The Dave Matthews Band, The Offspring, and The Brian Setzer Orchestra. (Man, there's an eclectic mix.)

5 things I'd do with a million $$
Well, I'm tempted to answer "see where I just told you I knew most of the lyrics to Barenaked Ladies songs?" But let's see... get myself a house (hell, in these parts, that might about take care of it right there); get a keyboard/synthesizer, software, and MIDI equipment for my computer so I could resume composing music like I used to back in high school when I had access to such equipment; figure out some nice gifts to give my parents and brothers and sisters (hell, that might about take care of it right there); get a second Cobalt Flux pad for DDR-ing with my guests (and for doubles mode); and take a vacation or two to visit some old friends who've been scattered across the globe.

5 places I'd run away to
Atrip to Las Vegas is always fun, and there are several places in Europe I'd like to visit: London, Paris, Venice, and Athens.

5 bad habits I have
Too short a fuse when I don't get enough sleep, a tendancy to interrupt people when they're talking, a bit too free with the foul language, too much television, not very good at keeping up correspondence with friends.

5 things I like doing
Watching television, reading (especially fantasy), playing games with friends, online poker, DDR.

5 things I wouldn't wear
Plaid, a baseball cap, a tank top, a military uniform (major thanks to those who do so in my place!), an earring (or any other kind of piercing).

5 TV shows I love
Again, only five? Well, going by the five shows currently still in production that would make the cut if I had to cut down to five: Battlestar Galactica, 24, Lost, Veronica Mars, and The West Wing. (Though already I'd be feeling the pain of having to cut loose Family Guy, Arrested Development, Desperate Housewives, The Daily Show...)

5 movies I love
Back to the Future, The Sixth Sense, The Princess Bride, Memento, Moulin Rouge.

5 famous people I'd like to meet
Joss Whedon, Tom Hanks, George R.R. Martin, Doyle Brunson, Neil Armstrong.

5 biggest joys at the moment
Being back in Denver, check-raising stupidly aggressive players when I have a nut hand, sleeping in, cornering the elusive solution to a problem that's been dogging me, the fact that so many of my friends have these blogs so I can keep up with their lives now that we're separated by so many miles.

5 favorite toys
TiVo, big screen TV, DTS sound system, my Cobalt Flux pad, digital camera.

5 people to tag
Ford Prefect
Joe 'de Bold
Major Rakal
GiromiDe
Tim (cause he's new to this blogging thing and might need a topic here and there to get things rolling)

6 comments:

Shocho said...

Didn't know about the keyboard and composing thing! Cool. Nice list. :)

GiromiDe said...

I'm still working on mine after two days. I wish I had twice as much time in my life.

thisismarcus said...

Being able to keep up a form of correspondence with friends is definitely one of the main reasons I think blogs rock. And thanks for the tag!

Major Rakal said...

I love reading a blog and finding out something new about a friend. I had no idea you composed music. I am awed.

I have responded to the tagging challenge. Witness the results in Hinterspace.

So, how do you say "Can I speak to Mr. Lime, please?" in German? My German was far too long ago to remember anything.

Kathy said...

I dunno if I got all these words into the correct German order, but I'm going to guess it was:

"Kann ich mit Herr Lime spreche, bitte?"

I'm honestly not sure about the verb conjugation (I would wager it's wrong, that's where I'm pretty fuzzy) but it has been twelve years since I took German.

DrHeimlich said...

Kathy's basically got the right German translation... in the play, the sentence was ordered slightly differently: "Kann ich bitte mit Herr Lime spreche?" or "Can I please speak with Mister Lime."