Friday, August 12, 2005

Ready For My Closeup

Tonight I'm interrupting the flow of "vacation stories" to talk about Battlestar Galactica. Not really about tonight's episode (though I did enjoy it, and it had several very powerful moments). Instead, I want to talk about Season 1 on DVD.

Many of you know that Best Buy is running an exclusive right now for about two months. You can buy it now, and get a bare-bones, "episodes only" version of the show -- with the UK version of the title sequence, no less. Or you can wait a few months for the "real thing," fully loaded with documentaries, commentaries, and the original mini-series. So, unless you simply can't wait, why would you pick up this Best Buy exclusive?

Well... it turns out there is one feature in this special BB set of Battlestar Galactica. There's an extra disc with a promotional documentary about Serenity. It runs about 15 minutes and includes interviews with Joss Whedon and all of the cast. It also includes footage shot at the advance screenings held in May. You know, the screenings I attended. Twice.

I got to watch someone's copy tonight, and it turns out: I'm in the documentary. Not just some random pan-over-the-crowd type of shot. They've spliced me in with the caption "Denver, CO," and have me doing the fanboy gushing for the camera thing for about 1.2 seconds. (They also have one of my friends who also attended the screening.)

So now I'm in a dilemma. Are they going to drop this disc in with the full-fledged version of Battlestar Galactica (which I'd already planned on buying)? Is Universal going to put this documentary onto the actual Serenity movie DVD when it comes out next year? Should I shell out $50 to buy this Best Buy exclusive just so I can have this monument to me now having only 14 minutes and 58.8 seconds of fame remaining?

Ah, the price of being a geek.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So does that mean you have 14 minutes 58.8 seconds of fame left to you?

Anonymous said...

I'm almost certain there will be advanced screening stuff on the Serenity DVD, they *have* to include that great Whedon intro, and so they will probably have your gushings to go with it.

but... how much are magazine photos worth on the 15 min scale? you're also in Star Trek Communicator issue 122 (circa 1999) along with with me and a few other recognizable faces...(though they spelled my name wrong in the caption :-( they did call me "local boy" :-))

- the mole

thisismarcus said...

This is all too funny! Call the DVD people and plead ignorance. Say you're not a BSG fan! Hopefully they'll tell you where else to get it or send you a free DVD cos you're on it.

Chance of success: 50%.
Harm in asking: 0%.

DrHeimlich said...

Not a bad idea, though I'm fairly certain I could not utter the words "I'm not a Battlestar Galactica fan" without cracking. :-)