Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Bachelor Party 2

No, not a sequel Tom Hanks never made. (Well, okay, I suppose technically...) I'm referring to the fact that this past Saturday night was yet another bachelor party for yet another friend of mine who's getting married.

There were actually many similarities to the last bachelor party I attended. It started off with a round of golf, and ended up with a long night of poker punctuated with alcohol, cigars, and general mirth.

Only the golf in this time was of the "Frisbee" variety. Technically, it's called "Disc Golf." My parents had a house for a while near a Disc Golf course -- though I'd never gone. Either way, I was familiar with it. Some of the people who went had apparently never even heard of such a thing before. In case you're one of those kinds of people, I direct you here for enlightenment. Actually, I learned a few things about the game myself -- like for instance, they actually have "driving" and "putting" discs for the game. Yikes. We all pretty much used the 99 cent "dog toy" special.

Let me tell you, you wouldn't think a 9-hole Disc Golf course would be much of a workout. I certainly didn't, going in. But by Sunday afternoon, and clear into Monday morning, I was aching all around my shoulders and chest. And I couldn't for the life of me figure out what I'd done to cause it. Finally, I remembered Disc Golf and thought, "that couldn't possibly be it." But it has to be. Maybe it's just that DDR mainly just works the legs.

This was a particularly diaboloical course that ran near a creek. Four of the holes played right along it, most of those requiring you to cross over the creek and around a grove of trees on your way to the "hole." Much worse, obstacle-wise, than a conventional golf course.

I had an amusing moment of density as I was reading the rules posted on a board near the first tee. In the section talking about what sort of "lie" after a throw was legal to play from, there was this rule: "A disc which comes to rest more than 2 meters off the ground incurs a 1-throw penalty." Except I swear it wasn't worded quite as clearly as that, because I stood there, mumbling aloud about how a disc could manage to come to a mid-air stop before someone reminded me about possible relatives of Charlie Brown's kite-eating tree. But, in case it should ever come up, there's apparently a rule in Disc Golf that also covers a sudden and unexpected violation of the law of gravity.

As for the poker, the night before I finally invested in getting a nice set of clay chips, which went over well. And I made a bit of a down payment on paying for them as I took second in our little mini-tournament. Basically, 4th place lost all his chips to 1st place when he went out, and 3rd place split his chips about 70-30 in favor of 1st place before he went out -- I just didn't have the chip lead to dig out of the hole and win it. Unfortunately, it was not the groom who won. But nevertheless, he was plied with copious amounts of alcohol and seemed to have a really good time.

So, this coming Saturday, the wedding. The last one of the season for me to attend, thankfully. Even the ones getting married have confessed to being sick of the whole business by now.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You were here in Virginia for how long and never played disc golf? At one point in time, a significant number of people in "The Company" played on at least a weekly basis. I guess I'd just assumed you'd been before. Certainly is more tiring than it looks though.

Tom said...

I do wish Hanks would have made a sequel. Truly and underrated classic.

DrHeimlich said...

I think D Company's disc golf craze had faded by the time I got there. They moved on to a soccer-at-lunch craze.