Saturday, August 27, 2005

Time Capsule

Not long ago, I loaned out my copy of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire for someone to read. When the guy brought it back to me (very quickly, I might add), he says, "I found this inside." And he hands me a tattered, beaten copy of "Sebulba, Bad-Tempered Dug," from the Menace of Darth Maul set of Young Jedi.

I hadn't cracked the book since I read it for the first time five years ago, and suddenly I remembered that I'd been using the YJ card as a bookmark. Hell, if you worked back at D-Company during those days, YJ cards -- even rares -- were a dime a dozen. We're talking about the days when the marketing department was run Wisely (wink, wink, nudge, nudge) and "The Emissary" could have opened his own game store with all the product he'd somehow gotten his hands on. Not that he didn't share the "wealth."

Anyway, it got me wondering how many books I have from around 1999 and 2000 that have a YJ card stuck somewhere in the pages. More than a few, I'd wager.

4 comments:

Major Rakal said...

Run Wisely, but not well. And I thought the Emissary did open his own game store.

I probably have a Trek card or two marking books, but I'm more likely to find really ancient bookmarks from bookstores that no longer exist. For example, I have lots of 25-year-old bookmarks from a store that was in the local mall when I first moved to Ithaca. It was called Paperback Booksmith and AFAIK it was not part of any chain. They were also much better than the Waldenbooks that eventually replaced them.

That said, I could certainly mmark every book I own (and I own a very considerable number) with STCCG rares, probably without touching my "collection" set.

thisismarcus said...

BSG was awesome last night! Er... I'm in the right place for this, aren't I? :)

GiromiDe said...

That's about the best use of YJ cards if you ask me.

And I recall a certain small-scale Chicago winter convention where the Emissary left with more than 95% of the product he arrived with, including several Fajo Collections. Much of that product was dog-eared for volunteers and players. That was the beginning of the end of my enthusiasm for the Volunteer program.

His comeuppance is that most of that product isn't worth a damn thing and never will be. Ass.

Trundling Grunt said...

I was never that overwhelmed by the Emissionary so didn't mourn his passing either