Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Catch-22

I found this week's Lost episode a well-intentioned misfire. There may have been some momentum in the ongoing story, but the emotional component of the episode didn't really work for me, and as a result the whole fell flat in my view.

The flashbacks of Desmond's failed attempt to become a monk didn't really offer any further insight into his character that we weren't well aware of before. He was a lost soul until he found Penny. (And since we know that even that too didn't work out in his favor, there's even less to see here.)

The dramatic matter in the present was whether Desmond would sacrifice Charlie in the hopes of reuniting with Penny. But I just never believed it could happen, which made his dilemma uninteresting.

There was a little bit of fun back at camp between Jack, Kate, and Sawyer, but I didn't find it enough to boost up an "A plot" that I found lacking.

At least the fans who are struggling to piece everything together got thrown a bone tonight... we saw a photo on the desk of the monk who dismissed Desmond. It pictured the monk and the woman from the jewelry store in Desmond's last flashback episode, the one who appeared in Desmond's vision following the hatch explosion and told him his destiny was to go to The Island.

I don't always notice details like that, which I guess goes to show how little I was engaged in the actual drama of this episode; my attention was wandering around to things like photos on desks.

1 comment:

Shocho said...

Gee, "Catch-22" was the name of the episode? I recognized the book cover and had to hit the net to find out it was the Brazilian version.

The episode was interesting because Desmond was faced with a tough dilemma and did the right thing. The flashback was cute but underwhelming.