Thursday, April 12, 2007

Cinema Gold

This week's "flashback movie" on the local giant screen movie theater was one you don't usually see in rotation: Goldfinger. I've seen every James Bond film in the theater released since I was old enough to go to the movies on my own, and not a one on the big screen that was released before that -- that's how rare I think it is to see an old Bond film playing on a big screen. It had been a while since I'd seen this particular Bond film, and I was really struck by two things about it.

First, it's actually a very entertaining movie. Far superior, in my view, to the two Bond films that preceded it, Dr No and From Russia With Love. The story moves along at a better pace. The situations are more exciting. Bond comes into conflict with the villain almost immediately in Goldfinger, and the entire movie is a clash between them. The "heist" at the heart of it all -- to irradiate the gold in Fort Knox rather than steal it -- still holds up as unconventional and interesting today.

But second, Goldfinger is very much a movie of its time. The editing is loose and uncrisp. The staging of the action scenes is completely ridiculous. (When waves of soldiers are supposed to be succumbing to nerve gas, it looks more like they're all going, "I'm just going to lie down now.") It's really the sort of movie that makes me understand why remakes are all the rage in Hollywood. Not that I'm suggesting anyone should remake Goldfinger. But I feel like I can enjoy the movie, yet still see why some people would be put off by the conventions of 40 year old filmmaking and not see the good stuff. I wonder a bit if the story of Goldfinger were filmed today, would a lot more people be able to appreciate it than can appreciate the original?

In any case, it was another fun night at the "flashback series." With a notable footnote. There are only two more weeks left in the current run (Raiders of the Lost Ark next Wednesday, Star Trek II to wrap it up), and then no more such movie screenings until August. But after each show until the end of this run, they are asking people to fill out comment cards suggesting what movies they'd like to see up on the big screen this fall.

So, let me throw that question out to you. If you had the chance to see any movie on an enormous, four-story high screen, with an auditorium full of like-minded fans just as excited to see the movie as you... what would you pick?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The 36th Chamber. (was released in the 'states as ShaoLin Master Killer) classic kung-fu movie goodness. have they ever done old-school kung-fu? this movie does have a lot of "slow" parts but it's all very interesting training segments and paced well.

and this might sound odd coming from me since I'm not a huge horror movie fan, but the original Nightmare on Elm Street. I wasn't old enough to see it in the theater when it came out but (of course) snuck over a friend's house to see the VHS tape. my friend and I didn't sleep for like 3 days. ahh good times....

the mole

Anonymous said...

2001.
It was one of the rare "flashback" movies I've ever been able to see in a theater, and it was one of the most intense moviegoing experiences of my life.

And I'll do it like the Mole and suggest two: Amadeus.
Just because it's my favorite movie, and also because it looks so good -- it's GOT to look great on a giant screen. (I actually saw this one back when it was released, but it was soooo long ago...)

FKL

Shocho said...

Well played, Francis! When asked this question by the Dr. in the carpool, I immediately said "2001."

I would add Akira, Blade Runner, Serenity, Lawrence of Arabia, Braveheart, The Fifth Element, and It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World.

TheGirard said...

Definitely 5th Element

probably Texas Chainsaw Massacre (the original)

maybe Aliens

GiromiDe said...

Evan, I agree about the staging of old movies. This is why I think a Wizard of Oz remake is warranted. When I watch it with my daughter, I can't stand how "stifling" it is. The whole thing was so obviously shot on a sound stage and so obviously produced in an era when film was just an extension of stage plays that I can't appreciate it the same way I did when I was a kid.

I hate to say it, but I feel the same way about Mary Poppins, though Julie Andrews and to a much lesser extent Dick Van Dyke really elevate that film. I doubt it could really be "remade."

Can you tell I'm a parent of small children?

Now, Forbidden Planet, that's a movie whose remake has been bounced around forever. Michael DeLuca formerly from New Line owns the rights to it and has said he won't touch it until everything lines up just right. My dad and I love the original, and I hope whatever remake is to come will set itself apart and actually compliment the original.