Sunday, April 08, 2007

Experiencing the Dream

Though I first found out about Stephen Colbert's new ice cream flavor months ago (and have been reminded of it every time he mentions it on his show -- which is frequently), I wasn't able to track any down until today. I tried every grocery store chain in the Denver area, but as we've learned from 24, people from Denver are bastards, and this extends to whoever does the ordering at the local Safeways and so forth.

So determined was I to track down and sample this flavor, that I did the unthinkable. I went to Wal-Mart. Ugh. I feel dirty. But sure enough, they had several pints of Americone Dream. It seems appropriate somehow that since Colbert himself gave up his own ice cream for lent (a running gag on his show), that it was Easter when I finally sampled some myself.

Bottom line, it's good. But it's not a new addiction or anything. Caramel swirl in vanilla ice cream with fudge-covered waffle cone bits. All the pieces are great. But they don't combine together into a sensation unlike anything you've ever tasted. It pretty much tastes like eating a sundae out of a waffle cone. Which is delicious, of course. But I didn't really need to scour Denver to find that.

I sure as hell didn't need to go to Wal-Mart.

3 comments:

Shocho said...

That's where you find the American Dream. Now you know.

Anonymous said...

sometimes it's more about the journey than the destination.

the mole

DavĂ­d said...

But wasn't the fact that Wal-Mart the only place you could find Colbert's American Dream incredibly appropriate? Wasn't it worth it just for that?

Yeah, I probably would have just taken a picture and not bought any.