Thursday, April 19, 2007

Darkness Returns

So, my Stephen King lovin' friend was Googling about for stuff on the Dark Tower, and stumbled across this by accident -- a flash version of the board game Dark Tower. Of course, "board game" is a loose term here. There wasn't really a board involved in this, just a strange electronic gizmo with random number generation abilities and flashy lights. And it was barely a game, unless you define game as "determine at random who is the winner when you begin to play -- but wait 45 to 90 minutes for the aforementioned electronic gizmo to reveal to you who that is."

In other words, as you might have guessed, man did I not like the Dark Tower game. But I know a few people for whom this was a cornerstone "cool thing" from the 80s.

To each his own.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

it would have been much cooler if it simulated the turning motor sound before the beeps and lights.

we never used the map, just kept pressing buttons on the cool tower. I managed to snag a real one from a flea market a few years ago. not "the coolest" thing from the 80's, but yeah I liked it.

the mole

Sangediver said...

I know it's a crap game..but dangitall I loved it. Overall I like the flash remake - almost made me want to dig out my Dark Tower (but then I remembered the flash game does it all without the 20 minute board set-up).