Saturday, April 21, 2007

Indy Film

This past Wednesday's "flashback movie" at the Continental was Raiders of the Lost Ark. I'd never actually managed to see it on the big screen before, despite how relatively often it seems to pop in theaters. It's almost old hat, as far as retro movies go. Yet even though just about everyone I know had seen it on a movie screen at some point or another, it drew the biggest crowd of any movie Continental has ever done for this series.

Of course I have seen the movie at home more times than I can count. Seeing it in the theater became something of a game, waiting for the big stunts and big laughs to come, and trying to guess what would get the biggest reactions from the crowd. It actually wasn't as live a crowd as some other "flashback movies" have drawn, but it still produced some good audience moments.

Biggest laugh of the movie? When Marion smacks Indy with the rotating mirror.

Second biggest laugh? The moment when the fly lands on Belloq's chin and crawls inside his mouth. (During the scene near the end, when Indy threatens to destroy the Ark.)

Applause? Surprisingly, only as the end credits rolled, really. One or two people clapped when the plane took off at the conclusion of the film's opening sequence, but otherwise the reactions were limited purely to laughs. The comedy seemed to hit home more than the action for this crowd.

Before the movie started, I overheard a lot of conversations in the audience. People were really talking with an enthusiasm that would make you think the new Indy film was coming out this summer rather than next summer. I don't know about you, but I don't think I can keep my enthusiasm up that long. So I'm gonna wait a while before I start looking forward to it.

Though it's maybe not too early to start hoping that, like the other Indy films, they bear Speilberg's influence more than George Lucas'.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great, great movie.
I can only hope that Lucas doesn't ruin the new movie (by calling it "Episode 4" or something).

I don't know if I've told this particular tidbit on the Dr.'s blog, but back when I was at Skywalker Ranch (during production on Episode I), the only one who dared say *anything* even remotely negative to George was Ben Burtt. Burtt did not hesitate to say that this or that was no good. (Not that George listened to a lot of it, but at least Burtt was speaking his mind.)
Everybody else was too scared (or too "respectful") to say anything. You could count me as one of the yellow bellies, although it was not *my* job to say something, whereas it was clearly the job of some of those who decided to shut up (Rick McCallum being number one on that list).

Now I'm half scared to death about the new Indy film, for obvious reasons. The fact that Spielberg is directing is good news. Now if Burtt can work on the movie, that'll be even better news. :)
Unfortunately he's been away from Lucasfilm for a while now, pursuing his own directing career. I'll start crossing my fingers and knocking on wood and avoiding black cats and ladders and shit, right now.

FKL