Friday, October 12, 2007

Complimentary

I went back to the dentist last week for a "re-surfacing" and some other minor issue, the first time I'd been since my quick follow-up appointment a week after my wisdom teeth extraction. (And my last until the next regular cleaning.)

When I say "ah" and the dentist looks inside, he remarks about the ever-shrinking holes where my wisdom teeth used to be: "Wow! You're really healing up nicely."

What do you say to that?

"Why, thank you?" I guess as in, "Gee, I've always felt I possess extraordinary healing powers, and it's nice of you to notice."

I mean, I guess what I'm getting at here is: it had the tone of a compliment, but I'm not really being compleminted over anything I think I have control over. And would he actually say something like, "Man, look at these craters still back here! I thought for sure you'd have been healed up a little since I saw you last!"

Fortunately, you don't really have to say anything in reply, because there are metal instruments sticking in your mouth, and it just sort of comes out "ainkoo."

No comments: