Sunday, October 28, 2007

Sox Rock Rocks' Socks

You know, I'm not sure I have anything meaningful to say here. I just wanted to use the headline. It kind of sounds like a Dr. Seuss outtake.

But okay, attempt at meaningful... here goes...

Tonight, I'm glad not to be a sports fan. Sure, I'm sure there are things in my life that I build myself up for only to be disappointed later. But I'd have to say that by and large, my time investment typically isn't very large on such things.

Like, say, maybe there's a movie that comes out that I've been really looking forward to, and it totally sucks when I see it. I'm out about two hours, plus the odd minutes here and there leading up to it, talking about the anticipation with people I know.

On the other hand, imagine being a long-suffering fan who has been, well, suffering long to see the Rockies get into the playoffs, and then... CRUSH. I'm not talking about the come-lately fans that invariably come flocking at the end when the team is doing well. Someone who's been weathering the ups and downs since April? Or hell, since 1995? Or longer than that, if you're a fan of the Cubs or something?

Disappointment sucks.

And neener-neener-neener.... better you than me. (That's right. Come get me, karma! The Golden Rule of the Church of Schadenfreude? Laugh at others as you expect they'll laugh at you.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

why is it that everybody focuses on the "loosing"? it's pretty special that they got as far as they did, right?

and what a weird thing it must be to be one of those super-fans. like they can have any effect on the game by using willpower alone? yet they can be hurt so much when the team loses (or the opposite if they would have won?)

the mole

GiromiDe said...

I wonder what Chicago will be like after the Cubs win the World Series and the Bears win one more Super Bowl to push those 1985 "Shuffle Goons" out of the picture.