Thursday, October 18, 2007

Numbers Games

I know it's probably bad form to diss the home team right now, but I feel there's room for counterbalance to all the people jumping on the Colorado Rockies bandwagon right now anyway.

Much has been made out of how the Rockies "have won 21 of their last 22 games." And of course, that's true. But baseball is full of statistics, and many of them are built to stretch the truth or paint a different picture.

It's also true that the Rockies have won 21 of their last 23 games. Actually, they've won 21 of their last 25 games. But it just doesn't sound as impressive when you say they've won 97 of their last 170 games.

The point I'm trying to make is, it seems completely arbitrary and unilluminating to me to just start counting the record at the point where it makes the team look best.

I mean, you could also say that they've won 1122 of their last 2375 games.

3 comments:

TheGirard said...

i hate the word arbitrary.

I hear it SOOOOOO much in my job these days.

Roland Deschain said...

I hate the word baseball.

I hear it SOOOOO much in my job these days.

;-)

Sangediver said...

I see the point, but I would argue that it's imore impressive to emphasize that the Rockies have won 21 games in a row, 7 of which were playoff games.

Not that I'm a Rockies fan, but it's still impressive.