Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Let Me Sell You a Pack of Lies

Tonight, I finished reading a fantasy novel called The Lies of Locke Lamora. This was the book I mentioned recently (by way of bitching about George R.R. Martin's slow writing pace), recommended by a friend.

First of all, I need to let that friend off the hook. Yes, this book is part of what its author projects as a seven book series. And while I don't know what sorts of cliffhangers he may or may not have in store for the future, I can at least say this about this first book -- it has a strong ending. It doesn't leave you cursing the day the book came into your life. It plays as completely standalone, and one could read it without ever reading what follows.

I lay all this track as partial assurance and insurance against what I'm now going to do: highly recommend the book. Don't let fear of being stranded in another incomplete fantasy series deter you from it, because you won't be. And if you don't read it, you'll be missing out.

The setting of the book is a fantastical take on a city styled like Renaissance-era Venice. The main character is a high-dollar con artist, and the book revolves around his various schemes. The term "anti-hero" gets used a lot these days, to the point of cliche, but in this case it fits well.

For those waiting for another Martin book, this novel can serve as a bit of a salve. Not that it's as expertly written (not much is) or that the scope is anywhere near as vast (again, what is?), but the style feels very much like Martin's.

The language is at times quite vulgar and base, and unapologetic for it, in the style of Martin. This is in pretty stark contrast to the most popular books in fantasy, which tend to be rather heightened and even stilted.

Much of the action is politically driven. It's not the wheels within wheels of A Song of Ice and Fire, but social status is very much key to the setting and the plot. And the social system here is certainly well-thought out, and built in a way to support the story.

Also like Martin, as I mentioned earlier, the main character is a thief and con man. If some of your favorite chapters of A Song of Ice and Fire are the ones centered on Tyrion, Cersei, or even Jaime, you'll find a lot to love here. Sometimes, it's just fun to have a rogue at the heart of the story. That's certainly the case here.

Once you settle into the book, it pulls you along at a good pace. Along the way, I found myself frustrated on evenings when other things would intrude on my planned reading time... I was quite eager to see what happened next.

I'm certainly now interested in seeing what author Scott Lynch has done for the second book, just recently published in hardcover -- even knowing that may be no guarantees that this book will end without cliffhangers (now that he's writing knowing in advance that his work will indeed be published.) But I'm over that hurdle, because I just plain enjoyed it.

I make the book to be about a B+, with perhaps extra praise for it being his first book and showing a good level of style and quality.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Crap crap crap... I'm frelling CURSED I tell you! Snarky Smurfette had picked this up and left it lying around the house after she was done reading it so I picked it up and read it. Obviously I didn't know it was part of a series or I would have burnt the thing and scattered the ashes.

You're right about the ending... I finished the book thinking it was a stand alone book. I noticed there was another book in the same "universe" (even Captain Oblivious noticed the chapter from the new book at the end of this one) but thought it was more along the lines of the Myth series than the Martin series.

I'd recommend this one highly... probably the best non-Martin book I've read in many years! You're right about the course language, but I thought that added to the feel of the book (how in the world do you expect thieves and other "right people" to talk?)

B+? What does it take to get an A from you?

Snarky Smurf

Sangediver said...

Whew - I was a bit nervous that you guys would hate it and I would start second guessing my taste in books.

I really enjoyed it too, and look forward to the other books in the series. Which you both are free to borrow. I'll offer myself up as the guineau pig for cliffhanger endings...

Anonymous said...

As if I could believe that.

Me: "So MonkeyDiver... is this a self-contained book?"

MD: "No worries... it wraps everything up at the end, much like the first one." (insert evil internal giggling here)

Me(2 weeks later): "Arrrrrgh! MonkeyDiver you evil little *@#%$%&!!!"

MD: (External evil laughing)

Yeah... I'll trust you to be the guinea pig... riiiiiiight.

Snarky Smurf