Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Preemptions

So, I would have posted this last night (as I usually post in the evening), but my internet came under a "malicious external attack" or something. (This topical reference brought to you coutesy of this -- link provided for historical context, because it won't be funny a few months from now.)

Anyway, the local CBS affiliate preempted the entire lineup last night to show Monday Night Football. The Broncos were playing, and these days Monday Night means ESPN, which means "no cable, no Broncos."

To which I say, "what makes sports so damn special?"

I happen to like The Riches. It airs on FX. Is there a local affiliate preempting programming so I can watch that? No! I have to frakkin' get a cable subscription.

Or how about a comparison that's slightly less apples-and-oranges? When election season rolls around, one of the local cable access channels typically carries a debate between the local mayoral or gubernatorial debate. (Yes, "guber" is part of the word... that's another issue.) That's of "local interest." But does one of the local networks stop to carry that for the people that might want to know and don't have cable? No!

But the Bronocs? Oh, heaven forbid someone might not get to watch that.

6 comments:

BubbaJoe said...

Seems like you are finally becoming a sports fan, and I couldn't be more proud! =)

Roland Deschain said...

That's because people will pay to watch the Broncos on TV.

People will pay NOT to watch political debates on TV.

Even if both involve a losing proposition.

;-)www

TMac said...

It should be obvious but sometimes it isn't. It isn't that control networks like sports it is that they like money and sport makes them money. The NFL makes them even more money. I'm sure Broncos broadcast last night was the highest rated show in the Denver area.

Jason said...

And then there's this, which is why an NFL game will never be pre-empted again.

Sangediver said...

Unfortunately tmac is right.

I have to deal with it every time there's a Avalanche game on (I know, I know...another sport) but can't watch it because it's March Madness, or there's an NBA game on, or frakking bullriding...

It's all about what advertisers think people want to watch, not what's good.

DrHeimlich said...

Good points, everyone. Still, I for one would rather have watched Heidi.