Monday, October 08, 2007

Good Fences

Good episode of Prison Break tonight. Very thought provoking, in my opinion.

I wasn't sure the writers were really going to go all the way with the Seven homage and actually put Sara's head in the box, but it appears they did. But I suppose if the actress wasn't coming back to the show anyway, that's one way to deal with it and maximize the dramatic impact. Now Lincoln will have to keep this secret from Michael, and that's going to be a major source of tension between them.

I was entertained by the Mahone storyline in this episode. I'll bet the actor who played Haywire never thought he'd get a call from the folks at Prison Break again, but how appropriate for Mahone to start seeing a crazy person from his past as he himself goes crazy. And I loved the end of the episode, where we were reminded that Mahone was a very credible threat and adversary to Michael for an entire season. He's not to be taken lightly in this newly retooled version of the show, either.

Things seemed to progress considerably in the escape plan this week, and it got me wondering what sort of game plan the writers have in store for the season. Thinking back to year one, things seemed to move quickly early on as well, but it all was stalled by the mid-season mini-cliffhanger with the replaced pipe that forced a second try at the escape in the season finale.

Clearly, just what Whistler did near Seattle and what The Company wants with it is a matter that will need to be answered for this chapter of the story to conclude. So the question is, are we on another "two year cycle," where (like before) one year is devoted to the escape from the prison, and the next devoted to what happens next on the outside? Until this week, I might have thought the answer was yes. Now, I'm feeling another scenario is far more likely. For one, it's probably in the best interests of the show to not repeat exactly the same model again. But the progression in this episode also seemed to hint that our heroes are destined to escape at a point somewhere around halfway to two-thirds of the way through the season, with the back few episodes left to explain "what happened in Seattle."

Maybe.

Who knows. Prison Break is one of the better shows around when it comes to leading you to think one thing and then turning around to give you another. I'm sure I'll be surprised with where it goes next.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very strong episode. I liked everything about it. Especially the fact that we seemed to get back to Michael hatching clever bits of a big plan--which is what I enjoyed the most in season 1. The ending with the fence was just great.

Okay, one thing I didn't like: that he HAD to use the guy's cross. "It's just the right size and won't conduct electricity." Okay. So in all that courtyard there wasn't any rock that could have done the job?

Now from your comment, you seemed to know that the actress that played Sarah was not going to be around for the full season. Boy am I glad I'm so disconnected with TV news. I expected something like a hand in that box (I know, big box for a hand, but still). I didn't quite believe they would kill her off like that.

FKL

DrHeimlich said...

Yeah, you're right about "watching a plan unfolding." That was what made for the best of season one, and made this episode great too.

Yeah, I did know that Sarah wasn't around the whole season. I knew before the episode ran that she was pregnant in real life, and they'd planned for her to be off the show for part of the beginning of the season. Then I'd heard something about behind-the-scenes conflicts possibly getting in the way of her return.

So, I didn't specifically know she wasn't going to be back, period. I didn't know it was going to happen this quick. But I did have hunches. Yes, I knew more than I probably would have chosen to, all things considered.