Tuesday, February 19, 2008

The Art of the Deal

So, for Prison Break, it all comes down to this. Tonight's installment may well have been our last ever.

As just a season finale, this episode was a lot less tense than the ends of seasons one or two. Not as much exciting action, not as much wondering how things would resolve themselves, very few surprises. And it didn't leave things in as dramatic a cliffhanger, either.

So perhaps, as a series finale, if it ends up being that, this is an okay place to leave things. Linc and LJ are reunited; Linc and Sofia are together. A happy ending for them. Hell, a "happy ending" for T-Bag too, as he appears to be in a great position at Sona. Of course, an unhappy ending Sucre -- but one rather fitting for the consistent stupidity his character has displayed on the show.

But as for the rest of what's unresolved? Kind of aggravating, but in my mind, not in the ways you might think. It's not that I'm dying to see Michael chase down Gretchen and put a bullet in her head. It's not that I'm eager to see Mahone teamed up with Whistler. It's really more aggravation that we had this long tease about Whistler that ultimately didn't amount to anything.

Sure, "the coordinates" Whistler was supposed to have had were very MacGuffin-esque from day one -- not themselves as important as the fact that the company wanted Whistler out of Sona. But now we find out they literally meant nothing; they were a ruse. We really don't know a damn thing about Whistler, it turns out. And it's not that I'm itching to see the truth revealed... I'm more annoyed that we spent all season on him and didn't get any closer than we were when we started.

As I said last week, I'm not sure I can envision an entire new season of the show being very interesting. I think I stand by that even more now, after this week's episode. But I'm also disappointed to now feel so jerked around by this show I used to like so much. I'm sorry to say that if it doesn't come back in the fall, I'm probably not going to miss it.

But at least I'll still have that great first season to enjoy on DVD whenever I like.

No comments: