Sunday, February 24, 2008

Random Thoughts on the Oscar Ceremony

So, the introduction with all the moments from different movies spliced together with computers? Clearly, this was planned weeks ago during the strike when they weren't sure if any stars would show up, and this was their way of getting a metric ton of stars on the program all at once. And it cost way too much money to scrap once the strike ended.

Great monologue by Jon Stewart. He rocks.

Why is it the winner for Best Costume Design has such an ugly dress on?

What's with "My Heart Will Go On" during the "Oscar history" montage? Did the Oscars die?

Why is it the woman who won for Best Makeup has such hideous makeup on?

The woman who won for Best Art Direction on Sweeney Todd looks like one of the bad guys from Star Trek: Insurrection.

It's one "I've been in a hurricane" hairstyle after another. Are hair stylists on strike now?

Oscar's Salute to Binoculars and Periscopes. Awesome.

Anyone else think it's weird that The Bourne Ultimatum won as many Oscars (three) as the movie that actually ended up winning Best Picture this year?

The best moment of the night was coming back after the commercial to bring the co-writer of the Best Song back out on the stage to give the speech she was rudely cut off from delivering in the first place.

I'd prepared myself for my favorite of the nominated movies, Juno, to get snubbed. Fortunately, at least writer Diablo Cody won a richly deserved award. And she was the only one rockin' the prominent tattoo as well.

Also, I figure that, with the strike still on everyone's mind, it can't be a coincidence that the Original Screenplay award was pushed (what seemed to me like) much later in the show than usual.

I can't believe they showed us James Cameron's bonehead "I'm king of the world!" moment again.

And No Country for Old Men won, as expected. No surprise there. Really, not many surprises at all tonight. And don't you be surprised, either, if you decide to see this movie. Cause remember, I warned you.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I still fail to understand what was boneheaded about Cameron's "King of the World" line (even though I seem to be the only one on the planet who thinks so). You've seen Titanic, right?

FKL

Anonymous said...

Yes, I've seen Titanic, and I'd prefer not to remember the experience.

Doctor, Mkae and I made almost all the same comments you did about the ceremony. It was reeking of lameness, lack of cleavage, and women with short hair.

Roland Deschain said...

Re: "King of the World" -

This is the one completely suck line of dialogue which I've written that people actually think is semi-cool because it came out of the mouth of an attactive young star in a gigantic movie.

However, when I say it the like makes me sound like a complete douche who should not be allowed to write again.

I'm sorry.

-James Cameron

Mkae said...

Did you hear about the "Whoopi snub"? Apparently she was quite upset on The View yesterday morning because the montage of Oscar hosts didn't include her disastrous effort from a few years back. It should be noted that it didn't include Letterman's either, instead only showing the English Patient mock of it from the following year.

Oh, and by the way...I'm King of the World!!!

Anonymous said...

No Country got four awards (supporting actor, adapted screenplay, director, picture).

But a few years ago, Brokeback Mountain, Crash, King Kong, and Memoirs of a Geisha all got three.