Saturday, February 23, 2008

Garbagefield

Do you remember when the comic strip Garfield was funny?

Yeah, me neither. I mean, I guess I thought it was funny when I was a kid, but I suspect that had to do much more with the lower standards of my youth than any decline in quality over time.

The thing is, Garfield is quite the punching bag around the internets.

There's the Random Panel Generator, which illustrates that Garfield isn't any worse (and is sometimes better) when random panels from different strips are thrown together.

There's Garfield Minus Garfield, which shows the strip is more effective as a depiction of a schizophrenic Jon Arbuckle, by removing Garfield from the strip using Photoshop.

There's an article from a few years back, maintaining that Garfield was actually manufactured to suck, so as to avoid any pop culture backlash that could damage its lucrative merchandising.

Not that I think any of that criticism is undeserved. Man, does that comic strip suck out loud.

3 comments:

GiromiDe said...

There was an ambitious "graphic novel" called The Nine Lives of Garfield. That was the brief, not-so-high height of the property.

Jason said...

When I was working next to Comics Buyer's Guide, they had nothing good to say about Garfield. In the two years I worked there, the only Garfield story they ever wrote was a bit on the first movie. They probably did another on the second and won't write another until Jim Davis dies.

Sangediver said...

Almost as un-interesting as the Family Circle.