Saturday, February 02, 2008

Buy Bread Alone

You can go to the grocery store and buy a half-gallon of milk or a half-dozen eggs -- sizes that work well if you're living alone. But you can't buy a half loaf of bread.

I don't particularly like to cook, so I have a pretty limited "repertoire" of foods in my place, all of them extremely easy to prepare. Sandwiches would be a great entry in that short list, except that even if I had a sandwich every single day (and even I'm not that boring with my food), there's no way I can get through an entire loaf of bread before it goes moldy.

It's not that bread is a super expensive shopping item or anything. It's just really wasteful to just buy a loaf of bread knowing I'm going to throw out half to two-thirds of it in a week or two.

I've had some people suggest trying to freeze the unneeded portion of the loaf and using it a little at a time. So I'm giving that a shot right now; there's about two-thirds of a bread loaf in my freezer right now. We'll see how that goes.

But why couldn't just one of the many bread companies make my life easier by selling half loaves?

4 comments:

Jason said...

I'm a big toast fan with breakfast, so I don't typically have trouble going through bread. I've also found that some brands stay fresh (or at least non-moldy, if a bit hard) longer than others. While a bit pricy, Sara Lee's always been good to me, even after 3 weeks or so.

Anonymous said...

I find the fridge works good. I toast all of my bread for sandwiches and have found a good setting on my toaster oven to get a good burn on the chilly bread.

but I totally know what it's like to eat the same sandwiches for a week straight and then I'm sick of them for a while...

and I guess we have ducks around the apartments here for the old bread. so it's not a "waste"?

the mole

Unknown said...

So when bread gets hard do you put a cookie in there to soften it up again?

Sangediver said...

Just don't go to the store and get arrested for breaking the loaf up, a la Steve Martin in Parenthood.