Saturday, February 09, 2008

The Next Guitar Hero

No... not the rumored expansion pack by Activision that is said to be coming "some time in the first half of the year." Apparently, some people think they've got a software that can actually teach you to play an actual guitar. I'm skeptical, because there's technique that's more than just having your fingers on the right frets. (And that's why I still get buzzing strings all the time and can't really stand to hear myself play.)

But hey, take a look and you be the judge.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmm, I'm skeptic myself. I think you'd be better of with some of the guitar learning "tapes" now available on DVD-ROM.

FKL

Cush1978 said...

Yeah, it seems entirely pitch-based and (probably) doesn't take into account subtle things like bending, hammer-on/pull-off, vibrato, etc. It's a step in the right direction.

Fret buzz might have nothing to do with your playing; it could be a poorly set up guitar. That or you could be plucking too hard, or holding the frets too softly.

DrHeimlich said...

Michael -- Ordinarily, I'd seize the chance to blame it on the equipment, but my brother can play my guitar quite nicely. I'm judt kinda not good that way.

Sangediver said...

I refuse to believe that there's something that you're not good at.

That would shake my core beliefs to the very core...