Friday, February 01, 2008

Graded Quiz

In the nearly three years of Heimlich Maneuvers, I've written a number of movies reviews. But aside from my overview of the James Bond movies, I always stuck to movies that were currently playing in the theaters. Recently, though, I've come to the conclusion that it doesn't necessarily matter if the movie is actually new or not; if I haven't reviewed it here, then it's "new" to me.

With that in mind, I'm stepping back tonight to 1994 to review director Robert Redford's movie Quiz Show, which I only just saw for the first time this week. This was a movie that's been on my "I should get around to that" list for a while. I'd had a few friends praise the story, the acting, and so forth. And it was nominated for the Best Picture Oscar.

Overall, I'd say it was a good movie. The acting was indeed top notch. John Turturro does his typically excellent job of building a quirky, but totally believable character. Ralph Fiennes nails one of his earliest roles with perfection. Rob Morrow takes what might have been a more thankless part as a legal investigator, and gives it some nuance. And the film is peppered with other good performances, big and small, from such as David Paymer, Hank Azaria, and others.

Robert Redford manages to keep the pace going well with his direction. But I'd have to say the script wasn't entirely up to the level at which the rest of the film was operating. The film never bores, but neither does it ever really engage you. There are some moments of good emotion, mainly in scenes with Ralph Fiennes' character and either his father or Rob Morrow's character.

The bulk of the movie, however, seems to play along like it wants to be almost a "whodunnit," even though there's no real mystery. When will our lead "detective" find the critical clues? Will he convince witnesses to come forward and testify? Well, these may be the trappings of a mystery, but waiting to see who is going to get caught in what lie isn't particularly compelling in this context. There's not really a crime at the core of this story. And it's an even less intriguing mystery if you have any familiarity with the real live events on which the story is based.

For some great performances and a number of good moments, I think the movie's worth seeing. But it's not hard to imagine how this movie failed to win the Oscar. (To The Shawshank Redemption at least; how it lost to the disingenuous piece of crap that is Forrest Gump, I'll never know. But that movie's a topic for another time, perhaps?)

In any case, I give Quiz Show a B-. Worth seeing if you're a fan of anyone involved in the movie, but not a Movie You Must See.

5 comments:

Roland Deschain said...

I remember seeing this when I was still a projectionist at the Mann Kipling 6 (now the Elvis Cinemas) during my 1st year of college.

It was a great movie to see in an old theatre with mono sound and the old General Cinemas seats. :P

I've always enjoyed Ralph Fiennes, but had completely forgotten that it was done by Robert Redford. He seems to have a very good knack for developing interesting characters out of amazing actors, but with stories that don't really go anywhere - but are BUCKING for an Oscar.

I cite A River Runs Through It as another example of fitting the criteria. Not bad, very watchable, but still with flaws that keep it from being good enough to RE-watch.

GiromiDe said...

Evan, I think you should address Forrest Gump on this blog. I tried to watch it again a few weeks back and just couldn't get all the way through it. Whatever "moved" me at the time doesn't any more, and I kept rolling my eyes at its attempts at building some kind of epic poem for the aging Baby Boomers. The only genuine moment in the entire film is when Forrest asks Jenny if his son is as slow as he is, because at that point it's just raw character rather than the epic poem.

The Shawshank Redemption is still a note perfect film and still deserves Gump's Oscar. Quiz Show isn't bad, but it carries all the unnecessary drama of any other entertainment scandal, like the Black Sox, the NFL's recent "Tapegate," or MLB's steroid explosion.

Major Rakal said...

Thank you for such a succinct evauation of a movie that I haven't seen, and now won't bother to. Not Quiz Show -- I'm referring to "the disingenuous piece of crap that is Forrest Gump."

Roland Deschain said...

I think you're right, Dr.

There is a pent up need on your blog.

*No* not the need for cowbell.

The need to communally destroy Forrest Gump.

I'm going to back away slowly and await the arrival of oblivion. :P

Anonymous said...

Okay, I'll step up to the plate and say that I loved -- and still love -- Forrest Gump.
There.

FKL