Monday, July 28, 2008

The Mole, Week 8

What can I say? It now looks as though me saying "I think [so and so] is the Mole" is now the sure fire way to get said person executed. But as FKL observed in his comments here, it's probably just as well that Paul turned out not to be the Mole. Nicole has mainly just been arrogant and stubborn. Paul was actively belligerent to the other players, which really would have been a disappointing strategy for the Mole to take.

I think tonight's games didn't do much to shed light on the identity of the Mole. In the first challenge with the blindfolded players being guided by cameras, there was plenty of suspicion all around -- obviously bad camera operation, performances just a bit too clumsy, and more. And in the second challenge, there was no reason for Mark to not go all out for the exemption. The only player who put money in the pot in that game was Paul, so all the surviving players look equally suspicious on this one.

So, what's the evidence now? I think I'm pretty well beyond making guesses at this point, and just looking forward to being surprised. But I'll offer these few quick words about who's left:

Mark. As I said last week, if he's the Mole, he's been a terrible Mole. He has been responsible for putting way too much money in the pot.

Nicole. Is blatant sabotage a workable Mole strategy? Can you act so overtly as the Mole that no one would suspect you? If you think yes, then she's your suspect.

Craig. I've never questioned his intelligence, only his physical limitations. Has he been playing on that expectation to mislead suspicions, or is he just that smart? Paul seemed to have gone out tonight believing Craig was the Mole; if you think he was telling the truth there (and that he was capable of selecting the quiz answers that were right for his suspicions), then you'd best look elsewhere.

The end is near!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was pretty shocked. well, not really. okay kinda. I figured out that Paul was NOT The Mole when he went on his rant about Mark getting the exemption. his whole crybaby (for lack of a better term) "it's not really fair" thing was a bit too believable. and he obviously looked frustrated and broken from his I'm-not-worried attitude.

since we are pretty sure Mark is not The Mole, it's a coin flip at this point, so I'm going to say Craig. I think Paul either switched his questions-target to Nicole at the last minute, or Nicole simply had a faster time.

If that's the case, my vote for winner goes to Nicole. Since Mark seems like the type of guy who would double-check his answers Nicole will have a faster time on the final quiz. but I'd like to see Mark win of course.

the mole

Anonymous said...

Yep, I'd like the winner to be Mark as well. But we've all been disappointed by stuff like that in the past, right?
Anybody remembers Survivor I?

In any case, I've been thinking about the Mole selection process. We really don't know anything about that. How do they do it? I think the simplest way to do it is to select your 12 contestants, have them all show up, and THEN, on the spot, ask one of them if he wants to be your Mole.
And if he refuses? Then you just move on and make another offer to someone else, with the previous candidate only knowing that they're not the Mole - and they knew that already, of course.
If you offer, say, half the jackpot - guaranteed - to the person who accepts to be your Mole, then you're bound to find someone who'll say yes.

I'm saying all this because it would support the theory that Nicole's the Mole. She's just doing the best Mole she can, which might not be a good one... and ironically, this might be working in her favor, because she's been sooo obviously sabotaging everything. (Either that or she's dumb as a bell - I've never seen anyone operate a camera so badly. And then she blamed Craig!!! I wanted to slap her around.)

That being said, I honestly hope that Craig is the Mole. I just hate Nicole too much. I want her off the show.

Now it's down to one last episode, right??

FKL

Anonymous said...

Please say that Nicole is the Mole, as she is gonna be the next one to leave. Please!

At this point, everyone pretty much agree that Mark isn't the Mole due to his stellar performance. Doesn't that make it easier for the remaining non-Mole for the last quiz? Mark still has to figure out if Craig or Nicole is the Mole (although he does have the best notes of the group), while Craig/Nicole can already eliminate Mark and know the other candidate is the Mole.

And Francis' analysis about Nicole's actions is intriguing. I would expect the Mole to be preselected, but it might be that they choose it from the available contestants, and they just lucked out on a pathetic one.

JL

Anonymous said...

They could select their Mole in any number of ways, but I like the idea of asking one of the players on the spot.
This forces you to pick 12 people you think might make a great Mole to begin with... and this, in turn, gives you 1 real Mole and 11 people whom you picked because you thought they could become the Mole.
And this makes for a great show.

FKL

DrHeimlich said...

FKL -- I can't say for sure, but I think there will be two episodes left, if past Moles are any indication. They run all the games in the "final" episode as usual, but don't show the quiz results that week. In the FOLLOWING week, they come back to reveal the winner, the Mole, and then go over past episodes to show examples of sabotage by the Mole.

I don't know for sure that this is what they're doing this time, but we'll see.