Sunday, July 06, 2008

Resolutions of Thorn and Bone

I'm pleased to report that I've finally finished reading the series The Kingdom of Thorn and Bone, and that it took me far less time to finish the fourth and final book than it did book three, The Blood Knight.

Does that mean I liked this book better? Well, yes... but I still didn't love it. The series took some rather unusual turns in its final book. Adversaries were turned into allies, allies into adversaries. Characters we've spent three books (and then some) with were somewhat unceremoniously killed in the final 150 pages for shock value.

In a way, the whole thing smacked a little of George R.R. Martin envy, of the great things he's done with his Song of Ice and Fire series. And I have to say, if it's a deliberate choice to imitate, then Greg Keyes has picked a damn good author to imitate. And yet, these strange twists in the final book didn't feel very earned. Nor did they ultimately carry any of the shock value of those Martin twists I mentioned, because we the readers are not really made to live with the consquences. Major characters have died in Martin's books, but the series keeps going, and so we're left to deal with the shock of how the series continues without them. By contrast, Keyes' ending just feels like whizbang Hollywood blockbuster action to cap the series.

And yet, that's not a bad way to cap a series. The final book pulls you through, and it does ultimately entertain despite a few moments where disbelief doesn't quite stay in total suspension. I'd rate The Born Queen a B-.

So for those keeping score, I thought the series had a decent beginning, and now a decent ending, but that it got lost a little bit in the middle books. I'd have to say that overall, I probably would not recommend reading it, unless you have tons of time to read and want to check out any high fantasy series you can get your hands on.

No comments: