Friday, July 04, 2008

Drink Up!

This Sunday, something is going to occur in Colorado that hasn't happened in my lifetime. Folks are going to purchase alcohol from liquor stores!

Shock! Horror! Amorality!

I've mentioned before the "blue law" that's kept liquor stores closed on Sundays in the state. I also mentioned efforts to get that repealed. Well, they were successful. The law was stricken effective July 1st, and this Sunday is the first one after that date.

I mentioned last time I talked about this subject that I wasn't entirely convinced that there was tons of alcohol waiting to be bought on a Sunday that wouldn't otherwise be purchased on another day. And I still basically stand by that. With one exception...

If only I could own a liquor store on this Sunday.

Almost everybody I know has said they're going out to buy something on Sunday just because they can. I've had the same bottle of Kahlua in my fridge for two homes and possibly as many years now, telling you how much I drink, but I'm seriously contemplating going out to buy some thing or other on Sunday.

It's shaping up to be a record sales day for liquor stores, I think.

No comments: