Thursday, July 17, 2008

A Ph.D. in Horribleness!

Joss Whedon fans, rejoice! It's been a long time since Our Master has produced any video-type material, having busied himself with comic book stories and other stuff. But if you thought you'd be waiting until the mid-season debut of Dollhouse for that to change, think again! This week has brought the premiere of Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog!!

Brought about as one of the few good things to come out of the recent writer's strike, this is Whedon's first musical since the Buffy episode "Once More With Feeling." Like that Buffy episode, it's a roughly 45-minute endeavor. But this time, it's divided up into three acts which are being revealed one at a time throughout the week on a special web site. They're also available for purchase on iTunes, and will eventually be compiled on a special DVD release. (Which, Joss has said, may also have a special commentary track that's also a musical.)

This is the awesomely hysterical tale of a would-be super villain played by Neil Patrick Harris, trying to commit the last, heinous act that will gain him membership in the Evil League of Evil. But his nemesis, the superhero Captain Hammer, played by Nathan Fillion, stands in his way. What's worse, the do-gooder is moving in on the woman our Evil Doctor has secretly pined for for months at the local laundromat.

The story is great. The jokes are hysterical. The music is brilliant, and already has me longing for the soundtrack to sit along side my Once More With Feeling playlist. The casting is perfect, and the acting equally so.

If you don't like this, there must be cold lumps of coal where your heart and funny bone should be.

No pressure.

I've heard the free viewing on the Dr. Horrible web site will only be available for a limited time. Don't mistake me; it's totally worth paying for, and I'm going to be getting that eventual DVD for certain. But if you want a chance to sample it now at no cost to you, act fast and go to drhorrible.com.

Now!!!

6 comments:

Aabh said...

THIS IS SO INCREDIBLE! :D

Thank you for passing this along...

Oh My GOD is Nathan the man! The Hammer thing... I laughed so hard... and my apartment is kinda small... erm... with thin walls... it was... um...

Anyway, I have only two words for this!

Joss Whedon....is....awesome...

Okay, that was four words... but they are good words!

Shocho said...

Wonderflonium.

Do not bounce.

GiromiDe said...

Balls.

Aabh said...

You know it's good; I was going to go to stay with Maia this weekend, leaving in about an hour and returning on Tuesday... but now... well, I think I'll have to make a small trip back up here to see part III (Maia doesn't have Interweb, you see) :) But us unfortunates who happen to be not living in America can't use Itunes. It detects our computers' actual location and denies us downloads (Global equality is crushed by money, yet again)... so I have to show Maia soon, or else I'll be singing "Brand new day" And she won't understand at all...

GiromiDe said...

I should clarify that my "balls" comment was just a quote, not a one-word assessment of the serial.

Hopefully Moist gets a little more use in the final act.

DavĂ­d said...

Yeah, this has been great. I'm about to watch Act III!