Sunday, July 31, 2005

Bachelor Party

Yesterday was a double-header bachelor party for my friend who is getting married next weekend. "Phase one" was a 10:30am tee time at the local golf course, where a group of us played 9 holes. Including me. Yes, gentle readers, I did something vaguely physical and outdoorsy.

I'd never been golfing before. My grandfather has taken me to a driving range once, many years ago, but I didn't show any particular aptitude for it. It was nice, being with the group I was with yesterday, though. None of us were that stellar, though we all had a moment of glory or two. We played "best ball," with each player hitting from the same location as whichever player hit best on the previous stroke. It saved some frustration and embarassment, and generally ensured we all had a good time. I know I did, surprisingly enough.

The only down side of that part of the party was the extreme heat. I know, everyone all over the US is bitching about how hot it's been. But I have a fun illustration to show just how damn hot it was yesterday morning. Coming off the sixth hole yesterday, we saw this poor bunny, collapsed in the shadow of a tree, too hot and tired basically to even be a bunny.



"Phase two" of the party began in the evening, and was a group Hold'Em tournament, basically organized by me since I was the one who knew how to do it. Also a really good time.

I went out fourth, right on the bubble of where we'd decided to distribute the money. I had Q8s in the big blind, and it was checked around to me with only one opponent taking the flop. The flop came Q-K-8, rainbow. I checked my two pair, digging a hole and putting the tree branches over it. My opponent in position bets in. I raise. He calls. 4 on the turn. I bet it out. My opponent raises to put me all in. I call. We reveal the cards. He has pocket As. My Q8 is sitting pretty... until an A comes on the river and busts me out. Disappointing, but you can't ask for more than to have all your money in with the best hand. 8 out of 46 cards could beat me, and one came. Also, the player who busted me out was the man-of-the-hour, the groom himself, who went on to win the whole tournament. Probably all the way it should have gone anyway.

The wedding is next Saturday... in Michigan. Bride and groom both live here in Colorado, but her family is in Michigan, and that's where they've decided to have the ceremony. So I've got a trek coming up in the second half of this week. (And yes, the blog will be out of commission for a few days, but I'll remind everyone when we get there.)

2 comments:

GiromiDe said...

I suppose I'll wave at you from across Lake Michigan.

Kathy said...

I wasn't going to say anything because this is basically a useless comment, but that picture of the bunny is the saddest little thing I've ever seen.

I mean, poor bunny.