Wednesday, October 26, 2005

The 80s Live Again... Again!

Nobody does "black hole entertainment" like VH-1. We're talking about programs with such a powerful gravitational force that if you're exposed even for mere seconds, you cannot escape. And at the pinnacle of this type of television is their "I Love the..." series.

This week, they're running an all-new third installment of "I Love the 80s," called "I Love the 80s: 3D." Having gone through the entire decade twice already (with "I Love the 80s" and "I Love the 80s Strikes Back"), the pickings are getting more than a little bit slim. Yes, we remember about tainted Tylenol capsules back in 1982. It was scary. It was news. But I can't say it makes me feel "nostalgic." And are there really no other movies left to talk about from that year other than "Quest for the Fire?"

And yet, even though we're down to "black Barbie" and Intellivision, it's still fun and addictive. Michael Ian Black, Mo Rocca, and Hal Sparks are all still there with the wise cracks, and just as before, they pretty much make the entire show.

So beware if you're channel surfing this week. You will get sucked in. No force is strong enough to resist it. And enjoy it while it's new, because you're going to see it every time you flip to VH-1, no matter what time of the day or night, for the next eleven months.

6 comments:

GiromiDe said...

You should read the disturbing parody "I Love The Aughties, Part One"

DavĂ­d said...

Down to Intellivision? Man, don't knock on Mattel Intellivision goodness!

Anonymous said...

Yup I've been sucked in to that show every night this week. I didn't get the glasses but it's still fun to watch...does it really look 3d?

If you were an 80s kid you might like this site:

http://www.iwasso80s.com/

Anonymous said...

David beat me to it. Astrosmash, Bomb Squad, Space Spartans, Thunder Castle...what a system.

Kathy said...

Don't forget Baseball and that goofy tank game! Man, I loved my Intellivision. My mom still had it up and working until about five years ago. I wonder if they still have it.

thisismarcus said...

Giromide: Excellent link! Thanks.