Friday, October 28, 2005

Zany to the Max

I hadn't even come down yet from the high of having American Gothic finally released on DVD when I heard the rumor that another show I've long wanted to see on DVD should be coming next year: Animaniacs!

Not only did this show make me laugh consistently, but I owe much of my trivia success to them, too. I own the soundtrack album from the show, and it includes two songs with extreme trivia content. "Yakko's World" names all the nations of the world (as of the mid-1990s, anyway) in under two minutes to the tune of the Mexican Hat Dance. "Wakko's America" covers all 50 U.S. states and their capitals in the same amount of time, to the tune of "Turkey in the Straw." I listened to both enough to learn the songs, and they've come in very handy at the bar on Thursdays whenever a geography question shows up.

But mostly, it's about the laughs. There are episodes of Animaniacs I love just as much as some of the best classic Looney Tunes. The drive to the circus (aka "I'm Mad"), Wakko being accosted by clowns while he's alone in the tower one day, the many machinations of Pinky and the Brain, and of course the epic of Anvilania (featuring the Anvilanian national anthem as sung by "Perry Coma").

One countdown ends, another begins. It's the circle of DVD life... or something.

4 comments:

DavĂ­d said...

Wow. Animaniacs was *so* good. That will get a high ranking on my amazon.com wish list. As a note, Yakko's world (yes, I own the soundtrack too) is missing quite a few countries that were around at the time of the song's writing. (30 or so, IIRC, but the animaniacs FAQ at http://www.faqs.org/faqs/tv/animaniacs/faq/ doesn't list the number.) It does, however, mention Taiwan, which made an ex-girlfriend of mine happy.

Shocho said...

Best Animaniacs episode for me was the outtakes show. Outtakes? From an animated series? Yes, they actually animated some outtakes. I don't know if these were real sound bites from recording sessions, but MAN is it funny. Dot keeps screwing up some line and just curses up a bleeping storm. This one is tempting for me, and I've only bought 2 TV shows on DVD.

Anonymous said...

that's great news. I recently played through the Animaniacs game for my Gamecube (subtitled "the Great Edgar Hunt") so this is a good place for a quick review/plug.

it's very similar to any 3d platformer (like mario64 or banjo kazooie) do a puzzley bit of gameplay and get an Edgar (Oscar) statue collectable. not hard but some of the puzzles were fun to figure out. not enough cameos from the rest of the animaniacs, but the main Warner Bros (and Sister) had lots of funny dialogue. Pinky and The Brain were in every level as was a hidden Chicken Boo. lots of movie refferences ("those @#$!-ing Romans!"- Sparty-cuss) and solid gameplay, well worth playing. "everybody limbo!" -Dot

-the mole

Jason said...

"Anvilania...Anvilania....Anvilaaaaaaaania."