Saturday, October 08, 2005

Watching Language

I find the way English morphs to be utterly fascinating.

In my circle of college friends, we use the word "pumpkin" as a verb.

It started out when we took to mocking each other for going to bed too early on nights when we were together playing games or what-not: "What, is your carriage turning back into a pumpkin already?"

From there, a shorter form later developed: "It's Pumpkin Time for me."

Now we're just down to: "Where's [name]?" "He pumpkined."

Pumpkin makes a pretty good verb, really. Especially at this festive, pumpkin-y time of year. (See, it's an adjective too!)

4 comments:

thisismarcus said...

I find the way "you guys" play with words to be a lot of fun. You don't get the same trend here so much. Too many sticklers and stick-in-the-muds.

Joy said...

A group of my friends used to do the same thing, we had someone who would "pumpkin out" every night. Definitely used in a mocking tone. It's fun to see that you use it, too.

Kathy said...

Due to a Foghorn Leghorn cartoon, a group of people in my Freshman year of college had a saying about pumpkins too. "Keep your pumpkin tied down." It meant to keep something quiet, although that's not the context it was in when Foghorn said it. I don't even remember how it happened.

We had another saying, used if you said something dumb or irresponsible..."You owe me a dollar." Basically, it was a fine. I don't think anyone actually came up with the dollar, although I once waved a dollar in the air after someone asked me a question for which there was no not-dumb answer.

GiromiDe said...

Marcus, the correct idiom is sticks-in-the-mud. :)