Monday, February 13, 2006

2:00 PM - 3:00 PM

Is it just me, or does the "top of the hour exposition" on 24 seem a little more ham-fisted this year than it has before? They already have a recap, do they really need to have conversations like:

"What's the situation?"

"Rossler's dead; shot by his female companion."

"What does that do to our plan?"

"We intended to.... [bla bla bla]. Obviously, that plan has to change."

I don't have people coming up to me at work at three minutes past every hour to ask me what's going on. And if I did, I wouldn't explain things in excruciating detail. Not that we watch 24 for realism, of course.

Okay, "lunch hour" at the garage is definitely over now. How are the terrorists still hanging out there uninterrupted?

Evelyn, how are you not fired?

Man, I know they said "blue van," but that is a seriously blue van!

Lynn seems willing to sacrifice the "Shire" to save "Middle-earth." (Okay, that's a big stretch, but I didn't have any other LotR pun this week!)

Jack: "Excuse me, could you keep that noisy metal cutter down? I can't hear my covert earpiece clearly."

Oh hey, look at that -- Jack actually gets a little sleep today!

Audrey finally gets to have a decent scene that's not pining for or whining to Jack. Good for her.

Oh, here's a refreshing change of pace. Jack actually saves someone's life this week! (Only after he kills someone, of course. In Jack Bauer's life, an hour without killing is like a day without sunshine.)

Man, what a convenient car to hotwire! Just pop open the panel, and the wires inside come pre-frayed! Stupid Chevys.

Logan to Lynn: "Do your job! And if you can't do it, I'll find somebody else who can." Audience to Logan: "Do you think there's anyone who can make Jack Bauer do what you want him to do?"

Jack Bauer totally owns the line "DAMMIT!" It's his freakin' catch phrase.

I know, I sometimes come off harsh in these glib 24 talkbacks. But I kid because I love.

4 comments:

Shocho said...

Masks don't protect you from NERVE GAS. I quote from Our Lady of the Wikipedia: "Nerve agents can be absorbed through the skin, requiring that those likely to be subjected to such agents wear a full body suit in addition to a respirator."

Grr.

Anonymous said...

"DAMMIT!" that's funny!
the other common Jack line:
"Where... is... the ______!"
(insert whatever you are looking for; bomb, missile, canister...)
not quite as catch-phrasey with the variable, but I've used it on fellow fans when I need something (where... is... the soda!) accompanied by finger-gun pointing of course.

I'm starting to get annoyed with the episodic hacking of the plots this season. they should stretch some of these things out a bit more. the entire mall incident coincidentally took just an hour almost exactly from 1-2?

what happened to "obviously-not-15" girl? and there currently seemes like no consequences to the mugging of Lynn, unless he wants a sandwich out of the vending machine or something.

I kinda hope one more canister goes off and we can hear Logan talk about how he wanted to kill only 900 people to have prevented the XX,000. that would be a fun scene. he's like the Inspector Clouseau of Presidents. bumbling his way through every decision.

the mole

Mkae said...

Previously on Heimlich Maneuvers...

"What 1984 film shares the title of one of Atari's earliest games?"

"I'm sorry to say I didn't feel it here, which is a shame, because I'll definitely miss Billy."

"I'm not complaining. But I still think it's stupid."

thisismarcus said...

Lynn's mugging has to come back to bite him or it was total filler.

They've done a good job of fleshing out the people around Logan this year and he's such comedy to watch. I'm starting to think if he gets better advice and takes a stress pill or something he could end up being a sympathetic character. But right now I'd still rather see Jack shoot him in the final episode.

Mike was excellent last night tho. President: Make the decision for me!
Mike: And have you blame me for it later? No, thanks! You make it.