Thursday, February 09, 2006

Can I Get an Amen, Tenors and Sopranos?

I think I once read somewhere that a majority of people never live more than 50 miles away from the place they were born. Maybe that was true, maybe not. Seems to me that the times are changing. Most of the people I know have hopped around several times in their lives. I myself have more experience than I care to in picking up and saying goodbye to people.

This week, I find myself with the shoe on the other foot, as a good friend of mine -- one I've known for around 15 years -- has packed up not just to leave the state, but to leave the country. He's off to Japan to teach English, and not planning a return for several years.

It's a good move for him, and I'm very happy he's doing it for himself. But I'm sad to be losing him. Especially when it seems like it hasn't really been all that long since I've been back in town to enjoy his company on a regular basis.

Of course, given most of the people who read my blog, I'm totally preaching to the choir here.

3 comments:

Kathy said...

I think I need to amen here, as I'm one-a those egotistical sopranos. :)

I like my CAPTCHA: sokagi. Fitting, it sounds a little Japanese-like.

Major Rakal said...

I'll add the tenor Amen, brother.

If Kathy's CAPTCHA is Japanese, mine must be Czechoslovakian or something.

zfsydslb

GiromiDe said...

This happened to one of my college friends. His best friend was in Japan for a few years to teach English. But the upside to it is that you now have a reason to go across the other pond and a place to crash once you get there. If you need a Not-So-Touristy list of places to go, I'll hook you up.