Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Official State Business

I'm betting you didn't know this, but the official state dinosaur of Colorado is the stegosaurus. Now I don't know what your reaction to this bit of useless trivia is, but I can tell you my reaction: state dinosaur? Seriously?

Oh, but that's only the tip of the iceberg. Colorado's state mineral is the rhodochrosite. The state grass is the blue grama grass. The state soil is seitz. And the state dance? Why, the square dance!

Who makes these decisions? Who lobbies for these decisions? How much money and how many man-hours were wasted making these decisions?

Some of these things seem so ridiculous to me already, I have to wonder why they stopped there. Our state cloud could be cumulus. Our state bottled water could be Aquafina. Our state forks could have three tines. The state card game could be canasta.

What is the point of any of this?

6 comments:

Shocho said...

Aquafina is my favorite bottled water. I might move there if it became official.

Mkae said...

On my Radio show once, we asked this very question and attempted to read the entire list of "official" things for Ohio. It almost never ended.

This is what your state legislature occupies themselves with when they don't feel like creating jobs, lowering taxes or doing any semblence of real work.

TheGirard said...

It's fluff. Every once in a while, life needs fluff. If you don't have fluff, life becomes a grind.
- Girard, 3:16

DavĂ­d said...

Utah's state dessert is Jello.

Jason said...

http://www.leg.state.mn.us/leg/symbols.asp

Ok, I knew many of these. I did not know, however, that Minnesota had an official state grain, drink, muffin, mushroom, or photo.

I'd wager that much of it is lobbyists who are in the business of manufacturing or distributing said item. I'm sure the blueberry lobbyists worked harder than the bran lobbyists to get their muffin made official.

Brad said...

it's funny but I can name most of Colorado's state "stuff" and I imagine most can name their state's bird, tree, and flower.

And the stegasaurs makes sence with Dinosaur national Park using part of Colorado's land and that huge Stego that they have on display there.